Friday, January 4, 2013

From 25 to 21


25. Bobby Womack – Please Forgive My Heart
 
Bobby is a classic. From his 70’s rise, to the recent drug problems and the shit he went through, it’s quite a return for him. All together being alive in 2012 is almost a miracle. To top this, his new album is one of the most interesting projects out there, and the proof is that he got hold of the best music guy out there, Mr. Albarn himself.

Please Forgive My Heart is just a strong confession from an honest man looking for redemption. He’s got mine. I've forgiven his heart, and beyond.

‘I could try to say I’m sorry / But that won’t be quite enough / To let you know the pain that I feel’


24. The XX – Chained

I think all has been said about The XX. Surprises were not to come, and that’s probably why they’re not number 1 as in 2010. But they’re good. They’re fucking good.

Chained warms any cold winter day. It asks for a coffee, a blanked and a beautiful girl.

‘Separate or combine / I ask you one last time / Did I hold you too tight?’


23. Ariel Pink’s Haunted Graffiti – Only In My Dreams

These guys crack me up, from their name to their videos. And the best part of it all is that their music is great too.

Only In My Dreams is the cherry on top of the Mature Dreams cake. It looks like they’re making fun of Grizzly Bear and Fleet Foxes. They're kind of saying: ‘They take it too serious’.

‘When she don't call up no more, well / Never give up, you gotta believe it’


22. Alabama Shakes – Hold On

One of the best new things I’ve come across 2012. Brittany’s voice is just incredible. And their live shows look like a musical orchestra full of funky-rock new sounds and approaches. It’s all so pure it hurts.

Hold On is all of the above combined into one song. It smells Alabama all over the place, and it’s a great smell.

‘So, bless my heart and bless yours too. / I don't know where I'm gonna go / Don't know what I'm gonna do.’

 
21. Tanlines – All Of Me

Tanlines have the wonderful ability to always put me into a good mood. That alone justifies them to be on this list. But on top of that they have All Of Me.

All Of Me is responsible for some of the best screaming-with-eyes-closed and arms-pointing-at-the-sky moves. Healthy stuff if you ask me.

No comments:

Post a Comment