Tuesday, January 8, 2013

2012 - THE TOP 5

5. Major Lazer – Get Free

Opening the Top-5 is Diplo’s musical project, Major Lazer. The album is yet to be released but what a great bait Get Free is. A praise to all the ones feeling stuck in all the troubles of a world of injustice, political crimes and lack of common sense. An open invitation to freedom. Mind-freedom.

Probably the most-played song in my iTunes and that says it all.

‘All I need's relief / I need some sympathy’


4. Tame Impala – Why Won’t They Talk to Me

Yes, yes and yes. Lonerism is the precious little gift 2012 saved for all us Indie-rock fans. Probably THE album of the year.

I’ve tried to understand how and where I can stop listening to Why Won’t They Talk to Me, but I really can’t. Hypnotizing stuff from the Australian crew.

‘But I don't even care about it anyway. / I wouldn't listen to a word any of them say.’


3. Jack White – Sixteen Saltines

No need to say Jack White’s THE rock star of our generation. That's a fact. Broken by the separation of White Stripes (aka Meg), White (gladly) went solo. Blunderbuss is full of under-covered messages. Hidden rage, disbelieve in love and ruthless lyrics.

Sixteen Saltines is all JW is capable of, with a hint of a damaged heart&soul. Making it obvious that Meg left some traps behind.

‘If I get busy then I couldn't care less what you do / But when I'm by myself I think of nothing else / Than if a boy just might be getting through and touching you’


2. Caspian – Gone in Bloom and Bough

Caspian’s masterpiece Waking Season was a true revelation to my once upon ignorance towards instrumental post-rock (whatever that is). Caspian transports me to a world where no lyrics are needed. Where words come in the format of melodies. Deep, powerful, meaningful melodies. Melodies crushing my humble thoughts like commanding waves hitting the rocks on a stormy day.

Gone in Bloom and Bough is the work of a visionary. A demonstration music has no borders, no limitations and definitely no need for anything else than instruments.


1. The Shoes – Time to Dance

And we have a number 1.

When it comes to Dance music, French make it better.

The first time I heard Time to Dance, only one thought came to my mind: ‘Number one. Number fucking one!’. Best thing I’ve heard since Justice's Stress, Daft Punk's Around The World, Cassius's Sound of Violence and M83's Midnight City. Time to Dance is an anthem. A magical trip to the dance floor, long, mysterious, aggressive and raw. Just as I like it.

And the video clip, my god this video clip is the work of a genius. It’s like Kubrick and Tarantino got together and decided to produce a music video. Jake Gyllenhaal just goes bananas killing everyone for no apparent reason. All this while I’m dancing in my living room, eyes closed, hands up in the air while busting some crazy leg moves. Can't wait for the album.


No comments:

Post a Comment