Friday, October 21, 2011

Beirut - a story about lovely music and memories from Europe

Beirut is the work of one man’s inspiration and true talent. Zachary Francis CondonZach for the closest fans – is another underrated genius. Because of his innovation, his lyrics, his cultural relevancy (even being from the US), it is all so good that it surprises me the lack of credit the man has.

We’re talking about someone who managed to constantly deliver excellent albums, changing musical directions and bringing different approaches to our beloved pop culture.

He is in my opinion one of most-influent musical personalities of the 2000’s.

And you can put it in whatever perspective you prefer. He is a genius, and I stand by my words.

From his short but precious collection, The Flying Club Cup and March Of The Zapotec / Holland, are the ones WSG is more familiar with. And to be entirely honest, probably 2 of the best albums in the shelf.

In those album there are songs that simply changed my musical life, and brought to a very different universe, Zach’s mind and soul. Nantes, La Banlieu, No Dice, My Night With A Prostitute From Marseille (yeah, you must be thinking what I’m thinking, ‘a guy that can pull up a song title like this has to be a fucking genius’) and – actually from their first album, Gulag OrkestarPostcards From Italy (probably one of the most beautiful songs of the past decade).

Don’t worry, I will not post them all, but at least 3 need to be here (I don’t have the guts to put more than that).

Starting with a great moment, Live in Paris, Beirut’s Nantes:



Followed by My Night With A Prostitute From Marseille, here live in Coachella:



And finally, my precious Postcards From Italy:

No comments:

Post a Comment