Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Fleet Foxes, a story of success

As obvious as it might sound, Fleet Foxes are the hot thing in alternative folk music and are the first band to deserve a second post on WSG, now with a complete opinion and view after reflection. 


They should – and kind of are - be leading the industry as a case study of immediate success on such a competitive complicated environment.

When I first heard their self-entitled album, Fleet Foxes, I felt things that I’d actually couldn’t explain. It’s such a deep, emotional, self-centered ride... in which you have to really understand how to absorb your feelings. Again, they’re just not another band.

Robin’s voice comes to fill our minds with dreamy-sad thoughts, to makes us question ourselves, to turn our heads around and smile. The lost harmony behind his voice is the perfect combination for a lonely day watching the rain outside your window or a no-ending car ride across a desert under the sunset.

It takes a person to a different place. A better place.

If their first album has taken a huge acclaim amongst music critics, Helplessness Blues took Fleet Foxes into a place where few are able to reach. It just raised the bar so high that their third album needs to be perfect.    

In WSG opinion, and looking at all factors (poor musical year, being their second good album, etc.), Helplessness Blues is looking to be the right candidate to album of the year. And here is my justification for this second post. Fair enough, I have no other justification but to really love Fleet Foxes. Happy now? Anyways, WSG doesn't care.

And here what currently is my favorite, from Helplessness Blues, Montezuma :

Oh how could I dream of,
Such a selfless and true love,
Could I wash my hands of?
Just looking out for me


No comments:

Post a Comment