Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Rock & Roll II - from back to bottom

Let's face it, when we talk about true Rock & Roll we need to come back to the 60's / 70's. That was the real thing, Zeppelin, Doors, the Stones, Jimi, and why not, Pink Floyd, Bowie and ZZ Top. Since then, they've confused R&R with pop / indie / alternative / electro (just name it). Things have never been the same. Yes, I know you are going to say ‘what about Nirvana?’. Ok, don't get me wrong but they never got it going – they lacked in quality, revolutionary status and total power. Kurt got the charisma, he got the drugs, but he wasn't no Mick, Jim nor Hendrix.

And that's when someone - hopefully the parents - gave birth to a certain Mr. Jack White. Yes, I call him Mister – capital m. But let's not focus - for now - on Jack and his post-break up Stripes folder, let's just talk about what he did to Rock & Roll during the past decade. He brought inspiration, he was – in my opinion - the breath of fresh air that allowed R&R's reincarnation. He and his 'Seven Nation Army'. During this interesting musical revolution, I bumped into two bands that have recently - with or without public justice – become the main reason for me to get up in the morning. They come from different R&R schools, one brings us back to the fuck-yeah-smash-my-brains-off R&R and the other to the work-up-my-mind-and-bring-me-scotch R&R. Let me introduce our first guest - will let you figure out which one is, certainly not that difficult. Watch & learn :




2 comments:

  1. Grande som, mas deles ainda assim prefiro a Glitter.

    E PS I Love You? Isso é que é (apesar do nome).

    ReplyDelete
  2. A Glitter e' grande malha, sem duvida. Postei este porque gosto da pinta dos gajos ao vivo no Letterman - um verdadeiro 'toma la disto'.

    PS I Love You ja ouvi falar bastante, ouvi 2 sons e nao fiquei fa.. deixa-me explorar e dar-te-ei my opinion

    ReplyDelete